It is a serious condition, clogged arteries, causing limitations in the blood flow. The fat in the arteries stops the blood from reaching the most important organs in the body. They stop functioning properly, not because of the lack of blood, but because their cells don’t have enough oxygen.
It is not east to notice this condition, unfortunately. That is why preventing it plays as significant a part as fixing it does. Scientists are still trying to find the causes, but there are a few theories on this. To both cure and prevent these threats to the organism itself, check out these remedies to improve the health of your blood vessels.
Causes and Dangers
Atherosclerosis – the other term for clogged arteries. It is a crucial and overwhelming disease that it’s actually the number-one disease in America, followed by cancer. It’s surprising, right? The reason is that it is, in fact, a ‘silent killer. It’s hidden deep inside the body, inside arteries even, which makes it extremely hard to detect. There is simply no medical procedure that can correctly and thoroughly assess the state of your arteries. Still, even if you regularly go to the doctors, this condition rises slowly making it difficult to discover.
No one knows the real reason. What researchers do know is that clogged arteries might be influenced by:
- heavy smoking;
- high cholesterol or hypertension;
- an improper diet rich in fatty foods.
At the beginning, arteries are strong, flexible, and elastic, but eventually this changes. All the cholesterol and calcium we introduce into our bodies builds up along the arteries’ walls and inside them and forms the plaque. This is basically a fatty deposit, in the shape of a clot that plugs out the flowing of the blood.
The worst aftermath of either the damaging of the vessels’ walls or of a clot forming inside the carotid is the very much feared heart attack. It starts with severe pain in the chest, called angina, and it’s known under the medical term coronary artery disease. But, the heart attack is only the number one danger of clogged arteries.
Afterwards follow the strokes. Blood is prevented from reaching the most important organs in the body, so when the heart doesn’t receive enough blood, you get a heart attack. When the brain doesn’t get its share, you have a stroke. Our necks are full of arteries going directly to the brain.
Aftermath number 3 is severe leg pains, as blood fails to feed your peripheral circulation pathway. This particular disease caused by clogged arteries is called peripheral arterial disease. Naturally, it can be treated, and it only manifests itself via pain when walking. This is why resting appears to help a lot. However, there are certain situations in which the disease gets worse than that. The cells tissues die causing the limbs to be amputated, as there is no other alternative.
Read some of the certain ‘usual suspects’, so to say:
- Not enough physical exercise;
- Excessively drinking alcohol;
- Consuming fatty foods or foods rich in saturated and trans fats, such as fast food, deeply fried chicken, ice cream, egg yolks, butter, sour cream, cream cheese, pastries, breaded fish, or chicken, and chips. Try and avoid eating these on a regular basis.
Clogged Arteries Symptoms
There is also another bad news – most of the signs are silent. More often than not, patients find out they have or still have clogged arteries after they’ve had a stroke or a heart attack. However, there are still some signals you can watch out for, no matter how small – watch out for them in order not to become a victim of clogged arteries.
Claudication – this is the term for this pain. It comes from the Latin term claudicare, which means to limp. As mentioned in the beginning, the disease causes arteries all over the body to clog, including the ones in your legs. So, this makes walking and/or standing more difficult.
Go to the doctor as soon as possible if you feel this pain, since if it has reached to the point where your clogged arteries are causing muscle pain and don’t allow walk anymore, you might be in a degraded state of health. The physical check-up or test is not painful at all, as the doctor needs only to check the pulses in your leg, and blood pressure and flow in that area, too. Another important factor why you should immediately go to the doctor is the idea that, if detected early, there will be no need for surgery or even medication as a treatment so that you can right this wrong. The doctor can give you a healthy diet and can give you tips on exercising. By this, you will prevent even greater damage.
Some small signals let you know it’s time you did something about those clogging arteries. You need to pay attention to them so that you can identify your disease.
- Shortness of breath – happens due to the plaque in your arteries; there isn’t enough blood for your heart to pump into your body anymore. Not enough blood means insufficient oxygen, especially towards your lungs. Can lead to intense fatigue;
- Abnormal changes in your legs – these changes can include the loss of hair on your feet, the discoloration of your toenails and the skin itself, coldness of the feet even if it’s warm or you’re wearing socks, numbness, and tingling;
- Sweating, especially during the night-time – if you sweat a lot, especially if you are in a cold room and at night, it means your heart might be working harder to pump blood into the body and its clogged arteries. However, a doctor’s opinion should be asked for, since over sweating can also mean you are menopausing, suffering from stress, deficiencies in your nutrition, obesity, or even anxiety.
This is how nature tells men to watch out after their arteries. A study performed on 37 000 men, all of which were suffering from severe baldness located on top of their head, predicted clogged arteries at any age.
Another study, performed on 7000 people out of which 4000 were women showed that moderate and acute baldness does double the risk of developing a heart disease or having a heart attack at some point. This all means that any sign of hair loss should convince you to pay your doctor a visit and discuss the possibility of clogged arteries. So, women are not excluded, as well.
The ear crease
This sign has made its way into medical research journals. It has been a silent sign of clogged arteries for some decades now. They speak of an angled crease in the ear lobe that crosses it diagonally from the inner canal down to the edge of the lobe itself. Studies show that this crease is an abnormality since the ear lobe should be smooth and that poor circulation causes it. Arteries that ead to the heart are very suspicious in this case.
Medical researchers argue about the ear lobe crease – some say it’s merely a sign of aging. Still, no further than last year, scientists have used CT scans to measure silent signs of the clogged arteries syndrome and they found that the infamous ear lobe crease did indeed predict the disease. That happened even in individuals who had already had other causes, such as an unhealthy diet or heavy smoking.
Men have a system that warns them they might be silently suffering from the clogged arteries syndrome. Erections require a flood of blood going directly towards the penis. This is why when a man has trouble or even finds himself unable to have or sustain an erection, he should immediately pay visit to the doctors.
There are proofs between the two diseases and it is believed there are some three years between them. This means that, in most patients studied so far, clogged arteries were undoubtedly discovered three years after they were diagnosed with erectile dysfunction. The pelvis area is rich in arteries, therefore, if they clog, they will prevent the proper amount of blood reaching the penile zone. Another good thing about this natural warning system is that it also solves the dilemma of the blue pill. Check whether you have clogged arteries before taking the pill.
Home Remedies for Clogged Arteries
There are simple and natural home remedies we can try either to keep our clogged arteries in check or to reduce the symptoms we’re feeling. Some of them may even reverse the condition and cure you.
One of the most delicious fruits of all that will help not only with your cholesterol levels, but with many other problems you might have as well. This remedy has antioxidants and promotes the body’s natural production of nitric oxide. It’s found in the blood, and it’s the chemical that opens up your arteries and regulates the pressure. To get the best out of these red natural miracles, eat one or two every day or drink a tall glass of freshly extracted juice once per day. Although a real ‘silent killer’, clogged arteries and all their implications can, as you have seen, be both prevented and cured. Fortunately, there are many solutions to do so, a great deal of them being natural and easy to procure. There is no need to turn to a surgical procedure if you use them. Just change your diet, make it healthier and don’t forget to frequently go out for walks.
– Red Yeast Rice
A substitute for white rice reduces the risk of clogged arteries and helps you avoid a heart attack and it’s rich in monacolins, which are known to minimize levels of LDL cholesterol. It’s also chock-full of minerals, phytosterols, isoflavones, beta-sitosterol, stigmasterol, and campesterol. Red yeast rice can be cooked just like you would usually cook a serving of white or brown rice. You can also buy red yeast rice supplements. The appropriate dosage is considered to be 1200 mg twice per day. Do consult your doctor or your nutritionist before taking these supplements. Just in case, to see whether they are a real match for you.
– Increase your spice-and-herb intake
If you take these spices just increase your intake, as they really do work miracles when it comes to clogged arteries. If you don’t, try and include them in your diet.
- Ginger has gingerol and shogaol, two compounds which are known to benefit the cardiovascular system. You can drink ginger tea every day or munch on small pieces whenever the mood strikes;
- Garlic relaxes the blood vessels, as proven by a study performed in 2007 at the University of Alabama. It also lowers cholesterol levels and reduces the biggest risks of all, those of heart attacks and strokes;
- Fenugreek seeds are rich in saponins, yet another natural element that helps in your ongoing battle against clogged arteries. You need to soak the seeds in water overnight. In the morning, drink the whole concoction on an empty stomach;
- Cayenne pepper is spicy and delicious but did you know it’s healthy as well? Its hotness and healthiness are provided by the same compound that goes by the name of capsaicin. It improves blood circulation overall and reduces cholesterol;
- Turmeric is very high in curcumin, a component that has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant qualities to it. This basically means it will keep blood clots from happening altogether.
– Change the way you live
Change the way you live. It doesn’t have to be a drastic change, just include half an hour or more of leisurely strolls outside, picking up a light sport, such as badminton or giving up junk food for a healthier diet. The way you eat doesn’t have to change drastically either. You can simply replace sugary drinks with freshly squeezed juices, and eat more vegetables and fruits. Also, make sure you sleep enough and don’t be afraid to stand up and go out, whatever the reason.