Darker skin shade around the elbows and knees is a common problem that might lower a person’s self-esteem. Why does it happen? The skin around the elbows and knees is usually thicker and has more folds than its surrounding skin. Since there are no oil glands in these areas, this skin tends to be drier, which makes it easier to adopt a darker shade if the proper hygiene is not maintained. The reasons behind it can also be genetic factors, dry skin, increased melanin pigment, obesity, hormonal imbalance, overexposure to the sun or frequent rubbing. Here we will present you 10 home remedies to solve this issue.
Prepare a paste with 1 tablespoon of milk and 1 of baking soda. Use it on the affected areas and rub it around in circular motions for 2 to 3 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry the area. Repeat every other day until you get the desired results.
Gently rub thick slices of cucumber over your elbows and knees for 10 minutes. Leave it for another 5 minutes, then rinse it off with cold water. Repeat every day. Mix equal amounts of cucumber juice and lemon juice. Stir in a little turmeric powder. Apply it on the affected areas. Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes, then wash it off with water.
Coconut oil is rich in vitamin E, which can help lighten the skin tone and prevent dryness by keeping the skin hydrated and moisturized.
- After you take a shower or a bath, apply the oil to your knees and elbows, then massage gently for 1 to 2 minutes. Repeat several times a day to prevent dryness.
- Prepare a mixture with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and½ teaspoon of lemon juice. Rub the solution on your dark elbows and knees and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. Wipe it off with paper towels. Do this once a day.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of plain yogurt and white vinegar. Apply it to the affected areas and let it dry. Rinse it off with warm water, pat dry and apply a moisturizer. Do this daily for a few weeks.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of gram flour and 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply it on your darkened elbows or knees and leave it on for 20 minutes. Then, rub with wet fingers to remove the paste and rinse with water. Do this 2 or 3 times a week.
- Mix a small amount of turmeric powder with 1 teaspoon of milk cream. Apply it on your knees and elbows and massage for a few minutes. Dry and wash with lukewarm water. 2. Combine equal amounts of turmeric powder and gram flour. Add enough rose water to it to make a paste. Put the paste on your elbows and knees. Leave it on until it is dry. Scrub off with lukewarm water. Follow either of these remedies once a day for 1 to 2 weeks.
Lemon has natural bleaching properties and a high amount of vitamin C, which helps remove dead cells and lighten the skin tone. It can also help renewal of healthy skin cells. Apply lemon juice on your elbows and knees and massage gently for a few minutes. Leave it on for about 20 minutes. Wash it off with warm water and apply a moisturizing lotion. Extract the juice of 1 lemon and mix it with 1 tablespoon of honey. Apply it to the affected areas and leave it on for 20 minutes. Wash the mixture off. After applying lemon juice, make sure to avoid sun exposure for the next 3 hours.
Mix equal amounts of sugar and olive oil to make a thick paste. Apply this paste on your knees and elbows and rub it around using circular motions for 5 minutes. Wash it off with a mild soap and warm water. Do this once a day and repeat the treatment on a weekly basis, until you reach the desired result.
Open an aloe vera leaf and extract the gel. Apply it to the affected areas. Let it stay for 20 minutes, then wash it off with warm water. Repeat 1 or 2 times a day for a few weeks.
Massage the affected areas with warm almond oil for about 5 minutes daily before going to bed. Mix 1 to 2 tablespoons of coarsely powdered almonds with a little yogurt to make a thick paste. Apply it on the areas. Let it dry, rub in circular motions with wet fingers. Wash it off with cold water. Do this once or twice a day for a few weeks.
Boil ½ cup of water with a handful of mint leaves for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the juice of ½ lemon, then let the solution cool off. Rub it on your knees and elbows with a cotton ball. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes, then wash it off with warm water. Repeat 1 or 2 times a day until you are satisfied with the results.
Massage your knees and elbows with shea butter or cocoa butter every night before going to bed.
Rub a potato slice on your knees and elbows for 5 minutes daily before taking a shower or bath.
Rub a small slice of ripe papaya on the skin.
Protect your knees and elbows from the ultraviolet rays by wearing sunscreen throughout the year.
Scrub your skin regularly.
Apply moisturizer regularly on your skin.
Wear full-length and long-sleeved clothes when you are out and the temperature is high.
Make sure to include enough vitamins and minerals in your diet.
Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water every day.